Sunday 26 February 2023

Five things I wish I had told myself during my baby's first year (as a mom to a colic or high needs baby)


If you've been around here for awhile, you'll know that Nicholas' first year (particularly his first six months), was without out a doubt the most challenging year of my life, as well as being the most wonderful.

Even though I grew up as the eldest of seven children and (I thought) had loads of experience under my belt, nothing could have prepared me for the wild ride the first year of motherhood would be. 

I always wanted to be a mom, and I am beyond grateful that I get to live my dream every day.  
My little boy makes me so incredibly happy, and being his mama is the best job in the world. 

Today I thought I would share five things I wish I had been mindful of in Nicholas' first year... 
I wish I had given myself so much more grace in those early days!

For context, Nicholas was definitely "high needs" (similar to colic) baby, so his baby stage was extremely demanding and yes, I cried buckets of tears.

And now on to the five things I wish I had told myself as a new mom...

It's ok to feel like you have no idea what you are doing...
It's part of the journey.  Each baby is so different with their own unique likes, dislikes and needs, and it isn't always so simple trying to figure out what those things are!

It's ok to change your mind and do what works for YOU and YOUR baby...
I went into motherhood thinking I wasn't going to hold my baby all the time so he wouldn't get used to it and only want to be held...
But guess what? Nicholas was (and still is) just one of those babies that really needed lot of physical touch. 
He was only happy when held or worn in the baby carrier, and only mama would do.  
He also wanted to be nursed almost constantly.  
Eventually I had to let go of all my ideas and accept how things were, and then figure out ways to cope!
It meant I had to simplify my life even more to be able to be the one to give him the comfort he needed. 


It's ok to feel overwhelmed...
Don't cut yourself up if you are struggling to adjust to this new normal and having a tiny human to care for ALL THE TIME. 
It IS overwhelming and it can take awhile to figure out just who in the world this little person is, and to adapt to parenthood. 
Personally, it took me almost a year to not feel like I have no idea what I am doing! 
Nicholas is finally in some sort of routine, and life doesn't feel quite so out of control all the time. 
That said, I wish I had researched baby sleep and wake windows before Nicholas' arrival.  Bonus tip - it's worth doing your homework!

It's ok to *just* be a mom and to lower your standard (for a time)...
This was a tough one for me as I am a goal setter and over achiever...I can't sit still for long and thrive on being busy.
I wish I had taken it easier and embraced the season of slowness (is that a word?) more.
The first year of a baby's life is SO intense.  
I wish I had realised this before Nicholas was born so that I didn't try and take on anything new or put pressure on myself to get things together before the year was out.
I think when you're in the midst of something difficult (like right now...we are going through separation anxiety and I am extra low on sleep and completely touched out) one feels as if this season is going to last forever and you're always going to feel tired and overwhelmed, but it DOES pass.  
And it's bittersweet...

I actually just packed away what is pretty much the last of Nicholas' baby things...  I am glad that I am finally getting my life together again (was it ever??) and establishing a sense of order, but I look back on those early days of motherhood with fondness. 
 
It was crazy time but oh! Nothing compares to the love you feel for your little baby and the joy you experience as you watch them grow and change by the day and become little people with a mind of their own.

It's ok to cry.  
You'll feel better afterwards, I promise.  My hormones were all over the place after Nicholas was born, and the sleep deprivation didn't help either.  It took months for me to feel like a normal person again, and that in itself made me cry.
Cry when you're happy, too.  I still cry when I think of no longer nursing Nicholas (although I can't tell you just how eager I am to wean him!), or moving him to a big boy bed.  
Again, when you're right in the middle of a difficult season, you feel like the end can't come soon enough.  


And it's also ok to not always enjoy being a mom. (And yes, I realise that there are six, not five things on this list...consider it a bonus one!)
This was so tough for me to admit.  
I grew up dreaming of being a mom, but motherhood has been mostly difficult for me personally.  And that's ok.
Being a mom is not for the fainthearted and it definitely isn't always fun! 
But it is so fulfilling and beautiful and worth all the challenges, the sleep deprivation and the tears.  I promise.

If you have a new baby or are expecting a little one soon, then I hope that reading what I wish I had told myself in my first year as a new mom will help you in some small way.  Be encouraged, and I pray the Lord will give you extra grace and strength for this beautiful, but challenging season.

And if you are a seasoned mama or you are just out of the baby stage, please share what you wish you had known and (reminded yourself of) in your early days of motherhood...

Happy mommying (I have no idea if that is a word, but I love it), sweet friends.

With love, Kelly

Do you follow me on Instagram?  I hop on there fairly often to share a peek into our daily lives...  You can find me @the.handmademama

7 comments:

  1. Your comments are all very valid and spot on! I'd just like to say (add) 'trust your instincts' - even when you feel you don't know the whole story. There is an inexpressible bond between a mum and her baby (even when you are at your wit's end!) . It's also really helpful if you have ONE good and trusted friend. Don't listen to everyone, but your friend will help you find which way is up when you've lost your way. You're doing a wonderful job Kelly, and now you've got this far......enjoy Nicholas! ❤❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! Agreed. I had one elderly lady always tell me that I was feeding Nicholas way too much...that he should have four hours between feedings. But I knew that my baby needed the extra comfort from nursing. Thank you for sharing!

      Delete
  2. Kelly, I appreciate your insight and honesty. Motherhood is the best job in the world, and I don't think anything can prepare a woman for the overwhelming feeling of love she has for her baby- there truly is nothing like it! But it is also the hardest job and overwhelming in many other ways. I can relate to the buckets of tears and feeling like you're at your wit's end!

    I had never even changed a diaper when my first was born and had no idea how to hold a baby. On top of that, he had colic. For the first four months of his life, if he was awake, he was screaming. (All of the "don't rush their babyhood" was not something I followed in those early months. I couldn't wait for him to outgrow the colic- for both our sakes!) Throw in all of my hormones and self-doubt! Because of this, I held him a lot. He needed me! This opened me up to a lot of criticism. That would be my first piece of advice: don't give in to the criticism. Helpful advice is one thing; criticism just tears down an already frazzled and struggling mom. Mom knows what she and baby need.

    The second thing is to not compare yourself (or your baby) to others. Online and even in person, it can look like others have it all together when we are falling apart. But we don't know their struggles and how much sleep they've had, just like they don't know us. Every situation is different, but I'd venture to say it's hard for everyone in one way or another. All babies are different too. They don't all meet their milestones at the same time, some are good sleepers and some aren't, some are calm and others are more active. I was amazed that my two are the complete opposite.

    Third, I would say that it's ok to ask for help. This is a hard one for me because it can feel like we are admitting defeat. But, oh, if someone just comes to hold the baby for an hour while you shower or sleep or get your thoughts together, you'll be better equipped to handle the difficult parts.

    I can say my second baby was easier. Not having colic definitely played a part, but I think one of the things that helped me the most was that I had confidence in what I was doing. Still difficult? Without a doubt. But I knew to trust my instincts and not worry about everyone else. I was much more at ease and less anxious about doing something "wrong".

    Even with all of its hardships, I wouldn't trade motherhood for the world. ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Kelsey, I SO appreciate the thoughts you shared! It's been such a blessing hearing from other mothers who have walked a similar road with a colic/high needs baby. Becoming a mom really is such a shock...and having a very fussy baby makes it all the more challenging!
      Oh yes, the comparison game... I still struggle to not compare my baby or my motherhood journey to those of others. At first I just wanted to find out if what I was experiencing was normal, and if there was perhaps something I could do to make it easier...but I definitely got stuck in the trap of comparing! And I feel like it's made me get all the more frustrated because my expectations for my particular baby, are too high.
      And again I agree. Each mom knows her baby the best. Accepting advice is fine...but at the end of the day, no one knows your baby like you do!
      I am so happy to hear your second baby was a lot easier...it gives me hope that if we were to work up the courage to someday have another child, it might not be so bad!
      I love how you said that even with all the hardships, you wouldn't trade motherhood for the world...I have to agree!
      Blessings and love and thank you for your sweet visit!

      Delete
  3. I'm 67 years old and have had a lot of ups and downs in my life, but honestly, being the 25 year old mother of a colicky newborn was the hardest thing I ever endured. I share all of your feelings. I had LOADS of unsolicited advice at the time, some of it downright cruel. I always encourage new moms and let her know she is the BEST mom her baby could every have. For my daughter and daughter in law, I cooked, did laundry, cleaned, and let them nap and bond with their babies and zipped my lip! BTW, that fussy baby daughter was a fabulous teenager and is an amazing 42 yo mother, wife and professional. As the saying goes, "The days are long, but the years are short."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicholas is sew adorable. Congratulations on your baby boy. This is such a wonderful time in your life. We where lucky our baby boy was really easy, not sew much as he got older. What a blessing you have.
    Love and Hugs donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Donna, thank you for your kind note...I truly appreciate you stopping by! I am so glad your little one was a happy, contented baby! Here's hoping that Nicholas' toddler years will be much easier than the baby stage! {{smiles}}

      Delete

It is always a delight hearing from my readers...
Thank you for taking the time to leave me a note...I respond via email, so do ensure that you aren't a ''no-reply'' blogger!
Blessings...