Thursday 23 February 2023

Penne with chicken and courgettes

Courgettes are always something we have in abundance during the summer months, and I love coming up with new ways to use them...

This pasta with chicken and courgettes was something I cooked a lot of this summer as it was a hit with all three of us (Nicholas is crazy about courgettes - it is the one thing he eats and enjoys consistently).

I thought I would share the recipe as it is so simple to make - something I am all about these days with a toddler who needs my undivided attention...

All the quantities are more or less.  I seldom cook according to a recipe and I like to change things up each time too...

Penne with chicken and courgettes

Olive or coconut oil, for frying

1 onion, chopped

3 cloves garlic, minced

3 thyme sprigs, leaves pulled and finely chopped

3 small courgettes, shaved

heaped tablespoon butter

tablespoon plain flour

1 cup milk

1 cup chicken stock

1/4 cup white wine (optional)

2 cups shredded chicken

salt and pepper

Fresh basil, torn

strong cheese, finely grated

pitted olives, halved

250g cooked Penne pasta

Heat a glug of olive or coconut oil in a thick bottomed saucepan.

Add the onions and fry for a couple minutes till translucent.  Add the garlic and thyme and fry for another minute.  Remove and set aside.  Add another glug of oil and lightly fry the courgette shavings. Add salt and pepper.  Remove a third of the courgette and set aside.  This will be used to decorate the top of each serving of pasta.  Return the onions and garlic to the saucepan and fry everything together for a minute while stirring.

Now make the white sauce...

Melt the butter in a small saucepan over a low heat till golden brown.  Add the flour and stir constantly till the flour and butter have cooked together and changed consistency.  Now stir in the milk, a little at a time, and simmer gently while whisking constantly.  Season and add to the courgette and onion.

Stir in the shredded chicken, chicken stock and wine, if using.  Otherwise you may need a splash more milk.  Stir gently and check seasoning.

Gently stir in the Penne and heat very slowly before serving.  

I like to put a handful of the fried courgette shavings on top of each serving of pasta, followed by a handful of pitted olives, fresh basil and strong grated cheese.


If you make this recipe, do drop me a comment and let me know how you enjoyed it...

I hope your week has been a lovely one, sweet friends...

Blessings and love,
Kelly-Anne

 Do you follow me on Instagram?  I hop on there fairly often to share a peek into our daily lives...  You can find me @the.handmademama

No comments:

Post a Comment

It is always a delight hearing from my readers...
Thank you for taking the time to leave me a note...I respond via email, so do ensure that you aren't a ''no-reply'' blogger!
Blessings...